Sunday, November 17, 2013

Season's Favorite Holiday Cookies

I have two childhood memories that center around Christmas cookies. My Mom's no-bake cookies and my Aunt's sugar cookies. I can still see my Mom stirring the cocoa for the no-bakes and can still smell their savory, sweet, aroma. I remember being just barely tall enough to peek up at the waxed paper-lined kitchen counter to sneak me a cookie while they were still warm.

My Aunt made the best sugar cookies that I can remember. The shapes that I remember the most were the Christmas trees, the candy canes, and the wreaths. I like soft doughy cookies and my Aunt's were the best. She lived just three blocks down from our house and I still remember walking to her house with my parents...visiting, and eating those cookies. Those were the good old days.

What are the cookies that you remember as a child? Which ones were your favorites?

If you're like most people...you will come up with the following four
  • Sugar Cookies
  • Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • Peanut Butter Cookies
  • Gingerbread Cookies
These four kinds of cookies are America's top pick when it comes to holiday cookies. There are many variations of each kind. But my favorite...other than the cookies I mentioned at the beginning of this article, is chocolate chip cookies. Every Christmas, my Sister-In-Law brings everyone in the family a big bag of them. It's a tradition with her. She enjoys baking chocolate chip cookies for us all.

Below is my Sister-In-Law's recipe

(It's actually the same recipe that is in the Betty Crocker cookbook)

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup margarine or butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 package (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
  • (The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup chopped nuts, my Sister-In-Law doesn't include nuts)
Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix sugars, margarine, shortening, egg and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until light brown, 8 to 10 minutes.

Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

I look forward to these every year. I too, have made them many times and they don't last long around our house. My Husband loves them.

Do you bake cookies for the holidays? Everyone has their personal favorites.

If you're baking cookies this Christmas, don't forget to leave Santa a special plate full of them.

Happy Holidays to all!




Find Tammy Embrich’s articles at her Grandparenting Articles & Tips blog, offering grandmother's experiences, articles, recipes, & more. She is successful in the work at home industry as an Internet Marketer, Article Marketer, & Ghostwriter. She offers free job leads for the job seeker, work at home resources, articles, & more at Work At Home.

Article Source: http://www.articledashboard.com/Article/Season-s-Favorite-Holiday-Cookies/2516539

No comments:

Post a Comment